- Android is an mobile operating system developed by Google.
- First version of Android released on 23rd September 2008.
- Android is an open source operating system.
- Nowadays everyone is using android mobiles & android is providing cool and fantastic applications.
- There are millions of android applications are out there on Google playstore.
- There is a huge demand for android developers.
- So don't waste time. Let's start developing cool android applications with extremely powerful and best operating system Ubuntu.
- Android Studio depends on Java, and Oracle. So, install it too.
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/java sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer oracle-java7-set-default
- Now, Add the Android Studio PPA & Install Android Studio
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paolorotolo/android-studio sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install android-studio
- You have successful installed Android Studio. Start android studio setup with below command.
chmod +x /opt/android-studio/bin/studio.sh /opt/android-studio/bin/studio.sh
- After executing above commands it will open wizard & while it is installing it will download required files from Google. Do not change installation path.
- To setup android virtual device(AVD) open studio and goto Tools >> Android >> AVD Manager. It will show you list of virtual devices if available. If not create a virtual device by clicking create virtual device button. Now choose the device and create it.
- Now, you can see directory named "Android" in you home directory.
- To setup Android path create a text file in home directory named ".bash_profile" and add below lines to it.
export ANDROID_HOME=$HOME/Android/Sdk export PATH=$PATH:$ANDROID_HOME/tools export PATH=$PATH:$ANDROID_HOME/platform-tools
To use virtual devices only then follow below steps/opt/android-studio/bin/studio.sh
- Change direcoty
- Find list of available virtual devices
emulator -list-avds # Nexus_5X_API_23 (name of avd)
- Now, run below command to open virtual devise
emulator -avd <AVD Name> # in my case avd names is Nexus_5X_API_23